Skip to main content

Far from home


I never imagined that sadness could weigh this much. The excitement I carried when I left home could crumble so quickly, leaving me empty-handed and with a shattered heart.

When I arrived, I thought I would find opportunities waiting for me, that this new beginning would be the first step toward everything I had dreamed of. But what I saw was a broken place, as worn down as the hope I was still trying to hold on to.

The days have been long, the nights endless. I roam, passing faces that don’t meet my eyes, and doors that close before I can even knock. Hunger is bearable, but loneliness is not. There’s a coldness that doesn’t come from the weather but from the certainty that no one here is waiting for me, that no one speaks my name with warmth, that no one asks how I am.

I feel like a ship lost at sea, battered by a storm that never ends. I have tried to be strong, I swear. I have told myself, over and over again, that every effort is worth it, that luck will change, that I didn’t come all this way just to give up. But tonight, sitting at the edge of a bed that isn’t mine, with the lights off and the echo of my own thoughts filling the silence, I can’t help but wonder if I made a mistake.

I take my phone out of my pocket, my fingers trembling as I type.

"Mom, I know you told me not to give up, but I came to this new country searching for my dreams, and what I found was a devastated place. I feel defeated, drained of strength."

The message is sent. I close my eyes and hold my breath, waiting for something. A reply. A reassurance. A reason not to let myself fall.

The silence is unbearable.

I wrap my arms around myself, searching for warmth in my own body. I take a deep breath. There’s still something inside me that hasn’t completely faded, even if it’s just a faint spark. Maybe this isn’t my last chance. Maybe the pain of today is just the prelude to something better.

But right now, at this moment, all I want is for my mother to tell me that everything will be okay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From IT expert to warehouse associate: The strength of resilience and adaptation

  In a world where technology dominates every aspect of our lives, having IT experience should guarantee professional success. With years of experience in network administration, technical support, and infrastructure optimization, I thought the same. I had the skills, the passion, and the dedication, but the job market doesn’t always follow the expected path. Despite my solid track record and certifications, opportunities were not coming my way. Month after month, interviews were scarce and the responses were negative. I faced a truth that many people in my situation experience: sometimes, talent and experience are not enough to open the right doors at the right time. But giving up was not an option. With the urgency of paying bills and moving forward, I decided to take an unexpected path and look for a job in a warehouse as a Warehouse Associate. Far from being a defeat, this decision was an act of courage and resilience. I knew my IT background wouldn’t be my only tool; I also co...

The Beauty of adaptation

Stepping into a new work environment was like walking into an unfamiliar landscape. Everything around me felt different—the sounds, the pace, the tools I was expected to use. It wasn’t the kind of work I had imagined myself doing, and yet, there I was. The comfort of what I once knew seemed miles away, replaced by the challenge of the unknown. At first, it was overwhelming. My hands weren’t used to this kind of labor, my mind wasn’t accustomed to the routines and patterns I was learning. But with every passing day, something shifted. I began to understand the rhythm of the work, the flow of tasks that seemed so foreign at first. Slowly, I realized that I wasn’t just adapting to the job; I was becoming part of it. The simplicity of the tasks began to reveal a beauty I hadn’t expected. There was something satisfying about mastering each step, about contributing to a larger process. I found myself looking forward to the challenges, knowing that each new hurdle was an opportunity to learn ...

The power of reinvention

I always believed I had complete control over my life. Everything seemed aligned, as if every step I took had already been written somewhere. But one day, without warning, everything changed. The carefully laid plans crumbled like a house of cards. I was faced with uncertainty, the fear of the unknown, and that uncomfortable feeling of not knowing what to do next. At first, I resisted. I tried to hold on to what I knew, to the safety of what had been. But life, relentless, showed me that I couldn’t keep walking the same path. I found myself needing to adapt, to learn to flow with the changes instead of fighting against them. That’s when I discovered something surprising: within every challenge, every unexpected blow, there was an opportunity. It wasn’t easy to see at first, but little by little, I began to understand that changes weren’t the end, but a new beginning. I started to value my ability to reinvent myself, to find strength within, and to discover sides of myself I didn’t know...