Skip to main content

Solitude amid the celebration

 



The lights flickered insistently, casting fleeting shadows on the walls that felt more alive than the people around me. The colors danced in vibrant hues, yet they couldn’t warm the air. Everything in this scene was crafted to evoke joy, yet my chest felt like an empty drawer no one had bothered to fill. I’ve never felt as if I belonged here.

Faces came and went, some with smiles that never reached their eyes, others with kind words wrapped in velvet but sharp as knives. I feel like a complete stranger surrounded by people I cannot trust. How many of those glances were genuine attempts to connect? How many were simply pretending because that’s what we’re supposed to do during these festive days?

I tried distracting myself with the decorations on the table: the sparkle of glassware, the sweet aroma rising from the dishes, the candles flickering in rhythm with conversations I couldn’t understand or care to. But at its core, everything felt like a theater, and I was merely a spectator trapped in a box seat where no one could see me. I wondered what it might feel like to experience the warmth others claimed to find in these gatherings. Is it real? Or are they lying too when they talk about a sense of home here?

At some point, someone placed a glass in front of me, as if that could fix what was broken. I stared at it for a while, noticing how the liquid reflected the candlelight. It was beautiful, but not enough. I lifted the glass—not to toast, but to feel that at least some part of me was in motion.

A chorus rose, voices singing a familiar song that failed to stir me. Applause followed, as though the melody had mended something, but I remained untouched, encased in this invisible wall no one else seemed to notice. It was as if this day, this celebration, this borrowed joy, had no room for someone like me.

I wondered if belonging is something you find or something you create. What is belonging? What if I never discover the answer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From IT expert to warehouse associate: The strength of resilience and adaptation

  In a world where technology dominates every aspect of our lives, having IT experience should guarantee professional success. With years of experience in network administration, technical support, and infrastructure optimization, I thought the same. I had the skills, the passion, and the dedication, but the job market doesn’t always follow the expected path. Despite my solid track record and certifications, opportunities were not coming my way. Month after month, interviews were scarce and the responses were negative. I faced a truth that many people in my situation experience: sometimes, talent and experience are not enough to open the right doors at the right time. But giving up was not an option. With the urgency of paying bills and moving forward, I decided to take an unexpected path and look for a job in a warehouse as a Warehouse Associate. Far from being a defeat, this decision was an act of courage and resilience. I knew my IT background wouldn’t be my only tool; I also co...

The Beauty of adaptation

Stepping into a new work environment was like walking into an unfamiliar landscape. Everything around me felt different—the sounds, the pace, the tools I was expected to use. It wasn’t the kind of work I had imagined myself doing, and yet, there I was. The comfort of what I once knew seemed miles away, replaced by the challenge of the unknown. At first, it was overwhelming. My hands weren’t used to this kind of labor, my mind wasn’t accustomed to the routines and patterns I was learning. But with every passing day, something shifted. I began to understand the rhythm of the work, the flow of tasks that seemed so foreign at first. Slowly, I realized that I wasn’t just adapting to the job; I was becoming part of it. The simplicity of the tasks began to reveal a beauty I hadn’t expected. There was something satisfying about mastering each step, about contributing to a larger process. I found myself looking forward to the challenges, knowing that each new hurdle was an opportunity to learn ...

The power of reinvention

I always believed I had complete control over my life. Everything seemed aligned, as if every step I took had already been written somewhere. But one day, without warning, everything changed. The carefully laid plans crumbled like a house of cards. I was faced with uncertainty, the fear of the unknown, and that uncomfortable feeling of not knowing what to do next. At first, I resisted. I tried to hold on to what I knew, to the safety of what had been. But life, relentless, showed me that I couldn’t keep walking the same path. I found myself needing to adapt, to learn to flow with the changes instead of fighting against them. That’s when I discovered something surprising: within every challenge, every unexpected blow, there was an opportunity. It wasn’t easy to see at first, but little by little, I began to understand that changes weren’t the end, but a new beginning. I started to value my ability to reinvent myself, to find strength within, and to discover sides of myself I didn’t know...